Sunday, September 25, 2011

Beef Barley Soup & Sesame Ginger Slow-Cooker Chicken

Beef Barley Soup
I had beef barley soup once a few years ago, so I decided to make it this week's soup. I had a bag of barley in my cabinet for about a year because I wanted to try new things...I just never got around to it.  Since I didn't have a lot of experience with this soup, I had a hard time finding one to try, since I can't really compare it.

I found this recipe here. I liked that it was a testimonial from a regular person - as opposed to a chef, what I didn't like, is that it says approximately, about, 4-5, etc. I like exact; but I decided to try it anyway.

It was simple to prepare - browning the beef, cutting the veggies and measuring the liquids.  I liked that the recipe had time in between to prepare for the next step (like cutting the vegetables when the wine was reducing).  The only downfall I found was that my barely did not become tender in the 45 minutes, I had to put it back on for about 20 more minutes.

2 LB Stew Beef   $7.91
4 ribs Celery        $0.60
1 med. Onion       $0.16
5 Carrots             $1.20       
4 cloves Garlic     $?   from a jar
1/3 cup Parsley    $0.65
1 Tb Rosemary    $ 0.83
1 cup Red Wine  $2.74
2 (14.5oz) cans Beef broth   $2.00
1 cup Pearled Barley           $1.10  (mine wasn't pearled)
3 TB Vegetable Oil             $0.30
Salt/Pepper

Total $17.49 so that would be about $3.50 per serving, assuming 5 servings.

Essentially, all you do is cut up the beef in bite sized pieces, throw that into a pot with oil.  Add salt & pepper to it.  Brown.  Then add the onion, garlic, rosemary and parsley. Stir.  Add red wine and stir, scraping the bottom of pot.  Reduce wine by half (I am not sure I think I waited about 15 minutes or so - I forgot to look to see how high it was).  Add carrots and celery. Add beef stock - I used 1 1/2 cans (used the other half later - so I guess 2+ cans would have been fine now, I guess it depends on how many/big your vegetables are - you need enough to cover the top).   Bring to a boil and then a low simmer for 55 minutes. 
Add barley to pot, and more broth if needed.  Simmer additional 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
Because I had to low boil the barley an additional 20 minutes (and my barley was still a little crunchy) more of the broth evaporated, so I added water to the pot.  The beef was as tender as could be (I also used top round London broil) and the carrots/celery had a good taste.  Like all grains - I had to add more water before I heat it up for lunch because the broth got absorbed.  Overall I liked it, and would make again.


Sesame Ginger Slow-Cooker Chicken


When I found this recipe (click link above from where I found it) I was drawn to it immediately because it isn't your 'typical' slow-cooker food.  Also, since I used boneless chicken thighs last week - I thought it was easy - my problem was this week they weren't on sale and they were filled with fat...I don't mind cutting up chicken, but there is only so much fat cutting/pulling I could handle-It would have been easier to use boneless breasts but that might now be my own personal preference for non-boned chicken.

2 LBs boneless, skinless chicken thighs   $8.20

1 bag (16 oz) ready-to-eat baby carrots $1.89
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger root               $0.32           
1/2 cup chicken broth                             $0.50
1/4 cup honey                                        $0.73
2 tsp sesame oil                                      $0.60
1 tsp dried minced garlic                        I didn't have this.
1/4 cup soy sauce                                  $0.53
3 Tbsp cold water                                 free from tap
3 Tbsp corn starch                                $0.12
1 Tbsp sesame seed, toasted                 $0.23
2 green onions, sliced with tops             I didn't use

Total $13.12 so that is about $3.28 per serving, assuming 4 servings

After a ton of fat cutting from my chicken, I think I ended up with maybe only a little over 1 pound of chicken.  Anyway, add the chicken to the slow cooker that is sprayed with cooking spray.  Top the chicken with carrots and ginger.  In a separate bowl, combine the broth, honey, sesame oil and garlic; mix then pour on top of chicken.  Slow cook for 7 hours on low. 

When the chicken is ready, use a slotted spoon to remove chicken and carrots and put in covered serving dish while you are preparing the next part.  Strain the cooking liquid and and to pot.  In small bowl combine water, corn starch, and soy sauce; pour this liquid into the pot and cook on high until it starts to bubble.  Pour liquid over chicken and carrots and put the sesame seeds on top.  Serve with rice.

My thoughts? Making the sauce at the end was neat so see how thick and dark it got...with a good taste.  I heated up some rice (since I made it hours before) and put a few carrots and chicken on top.  My first bite tasted a bit, I don't know, burnt? I think it was from my toasted seasame seeds (I never toasted them before, I may have over done it) BUT the chicken and carrots were as tender as could be.   I am going to say this recipe will make it into my collection - I would make it again.  HOWEVER...it is best when 'fresh' as in eat it when it's ready.  It heated OK on the stove, but it just wasn't as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment