Monday, September 12, 2011

Bike Vermont...Reminiscing from 2004

Yesterday I went for another 14 mile bike ride on the Bronx River Parkway.  I finally got around to changing my mountain bike tires for street tires, and biking on the pavement was a bit easier.  As I was riding, I was remembering back to when I first bought my bike, almost 9 years ago...and how this was probably the 10th time I've used it outdoors. 

My first bike excursion as an adult was to participate in a Bike Vermont weekend that included two days of riding through the local towns.  It was amazing: the vastness, animals, farms, fresh air...all of it.  It was so beautiful and it should have been relaxing if you were in bike shape (which I was not.)  There were big hills so I had to really push myself or walk my bike up...but I didn't give up and catch a ride back, we were just the last to arrive anywhere.
before I left...I was so excited...not realizing how challenging it would be

notice the matching his/hers matching bikes? Yeah, I was in that kind of a relationship

exhausted...but I still have a smile on my face
While riding along the beautiful landscape we stopped in towns for lunch, or to sample/buy cheese and maple syrup.  We went through some covered bridges, one of which was the Bartonsville Bridge that collapsed during Hurricane Irene a few weeks ago.

So that was Vermont back in 2004ish.  Now in 2011, I only rode the bike a few times, so even though it was relatively flat, it was still a bit challenging for me up two small hills.  Additionally, while I can tolerate a little butt soreness...my knees really ache after a while.  But I felt great afterwards and hope I continue to ride once in a while.  My issue is while biking is a solitary sport, it is more fun do go with someone...but then I have trouble keeping up with them.

I hope my fh will push me to do these fun kinds of outdoor activities with him.

1 comment:

  1. Those covered bridges remind me of the film Bridges Of Madison County.
    I'm glad to hear you're O.K.:)

    ReplyDelete