Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rockefeller State Park Preserve

The Rockefeller State Park Preserve is located in Pleasantville and its operated by the New York State Parks office.  My first time here I was unsure what to expect, there was a $6 parking fee to park in the lot which was near the small visitor center, small museum, and restrooms.

I got out of the car dressed in sneakers but a regular tank top and capri's.  Everyone else was wearing sneakers, short running shorts and athletic tops.  I felt very out of place.  I grabbed a trail map and began my walk...yes, I walked everyone else was running.  I took the Old Sleepy Hollow Trail to get to the other trails, however, the trail crossed a main road where I saw many cars parked on the side - allowing free parking.  I continued and walked about 5 miles on various trails (Eagle Hill, Thirteen Bridges, Pocanatico River and another one) before heading back.  I was hoping the Eagle Hill Summit would have provided a better view of the Rockefeller Estate and the river but since it was the summer, the trees were too full to see much of anything. I did get a glimpse of the Tapanzee Bridge.

It was a very pleasant walk, and I would go back to walk on some of the other trails that I was not able to see when I was there this time.  For more information, visit the Rockefeller State Park Preserve website.

No comments:

Post a Comment