Saturday, July 5, 2014

research with parents

I went to the state I am thinking about moving to so I could drive around the city and smaller towns to see if I'd like it there.  More of a confirmation really that what I've been thinking about for months is really where I want to go.

My parents, while supportive, do not travel and I think my mother was envisioning me living in the mountains living off the land.  I asked them if they would like to come with my for my 'research' and I was shocked they said yes.

My mother kept saying how much she loved it; for her it was 100% new. The idea of seeing mountains, some of the delicious breakfasts, the few activities we did...she was happy the whole time.  But the last morning there at breakfast she asks if I've considered Vermont, Maine, Delaware...she still doesn't want me far away.

My father seemed to have a rougher time adjusting on the trip.  Starting probably with the altitude.  He is out of shape.  He is stubborn.  He has vertigo.  All three of those things came into play the few days we were away.  I couldn't tell if he was enjoying himself or liked the area; he was hard to read.  Although he was impressed with two of the apartment complexes we looked at.  He didn't try to talk me out of it...if anything I think he realized that I did like it and he is coming to terms with me leaving and he'll miss me, the daughter he probably spends the most time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment