Monday, January 17, 2011

I named my daughter

So, I haven't told anyone this, ever: I picked out my daughter's name.  It was 2003 or 2004 and SI and I were talking about our future children.  I am trying to remember, but for the life of me I can't remember why we didn't talk about boys names, maybe we were going to be boring and name the kid after him or a father?  Anyway, we did a lot of research and we wanted something a little different but traditional.  I read so many websites and top names from the 1700s through present day (well until 2003/04).   Some names were definitely old sounding, as in it isn't bad for an old lady, but for a little kid? It was hard to imagine.

As soon as we heard it, we claimed it and swore we wouldn't tell anyone until we actually had a child or was pregnant.  Well, that never happened. So, I have been wondering for the last 4 years if I can still use the name we picked out.  It seems so wrong, but I like it.  And of course, when I said it everyday, would I think of SI?  I can't have that.  If I am fortunate to find myself a husband he & I would of course make our child's name decision together.  But, remember, I am 31 and I have been thinking about babies for a long time now.  I am too broke to really consider being a single mom...but at some point, I need to take matters into my own hands (I have previously posted about this).  So, should I go that route, where I find sperm from a bank or from someone who would donate sperm to me the 'traditional' way, and there is no father in the picture - the decision is all mine, and I could use that name.

source

The name wasn't on the top 1000 names in a long long time, but today, after watching a recent movie where the name is featured - I thought I would look it up, and guess what, it is making a comeback - or I should say it has been making a comeback since 1998.  However, there seems to be some inconsistencies in its popularity on different websites.

The name means "maiden" in Greek, but there are rumors that it is actually Scottish in origin:  Cora.  And it actually sounded good with SI's I last name, but it works with lots of other last names too.  Well there you have it, the cat is out of the bag.  I figured it was time to tell, since in all reality it will never be my daughter's name.  But it will always be in the back of my head and when I hear it, I think about the daughter I never had with him or what that girl would have been like.




http://users.erols.com/dgalbi/names/us200.htm

1 comment:

  1. Cora is on my list too!!!!!! Has been for several years. I never hear it either. None of the names I'd love for my future kids are popular at all, which is probably why i like them. I'll try not to steal Cora from you ;)

    ReplyDelete