Thursday, September 23, 2010

Welcome Autumn!

As you all know, yesterday was the fall equinox - one of the two days a year where the same amount of time it is light is also dark - and starting today the days will get shorter and shorter.

Source

I hate short days.  I feel tired and unmotivated...but there is something to be said for the Fall, especially in the North East.  Over the last ten years, I have decided that Autumn is my favorite season, and that says something because I don't usually pick favorites.  The crisp air, the leaves crunching under your feet, wearing a light jacket/sweater, the beautiful foliage of the trees, bugs slowly disappear, etc. Something about it seems so peaceful and makes me want to be outside to enjoy it.

The Autumn signifies the approach of Halloween and Thanksgiving, my two favorite holidays.  I love pumpkins, leaves, scarecrows and apples.  We have places where we can pick our own apples and pumpkins - I haven't done that in years, but I might this year.  Nothing better than using real pumpkin (as opposed to can) for pumpkin cheese cake or pumpkin pie - even though it is a lot of work.  Also in its, I think third year, is the Great Jack O'Lantern Blaze where you walk a trail and see all these amazing jack o'lanterns glowing - no doubt you will be in awe of the talents of those who carved the pumpkins - the pictures below do no justice to what is actually on display.

Source
For those of you that do not get a change of seasons, you are missing out and I highly suggest a visit to the North East in the peak foliage season - which varies greatly depending on what state you will visit.  A scenic drive viewing all the trees, perhaps overlooking the rivers, a hike in the woods, maybe even try jumping in a huge pile of leaves...you will feel like you were away longer than you were.

Once the leaves fall and Winter sets in then I feel like Spring can't come fast enough.  I absolutely dread the cold, dark, dreary days of Winter and the holiday madness that the December holidays bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment