Sunday, February 16, 2014

Review: Patagonia Hi-Loft Down Sweater Hoody

For those of you on the East Coast, you know this winter started off quite cold and then became quite snowy.  The extreme cold was what made me realize I needed a warmer coat.

I bought several coats from several different manufacturers in a variety of styles and colors to decide what I like and what would keep me warm.

My favorite was Patagonia's Hi-Loft Down Sweater Hoody.

When I first tried it on, I was surprised to see that it looked more marble than white.  This was due to the fact that you can see the feathers through the shell lining.  I wasn't thrilled about this, but figured the coat was still worth a try.

Patagonia
On my first day of wearing it, the morning was about 22 degrees that felt like 12 degrees.  Under the coat I was wearing a cotton 3/4 sleeve shirt and jeans [normally, if I wore that, I'd have had to wear some arm warmers under my 'regular' coat and if I remembered a scarf].  But with this coat, I didn't need arm warmers.  It kept me warm on my walk to the train and to work.  I really liked the arm hole area that gets a little tighter so with gloves, air does not go up your arm, keeping you warm.  My hair was down, and the hood fit mostly well, helping to keep the wind and cold out.

The coat itself is super light, which is a fantastic feeling that you are warm but don't feel like a big puffy marshmallow.  And even though it is light and compact-able, it is filled with 14.6 ounces of feathers.

The downside?  Stock was selling out and of the colors that were left (a pink, a blue and a white), I liked the white better.  I never had a white coat before, it seemed versatile and wintery.  Unfortunately, as a woman who wears makeup, I realized that if I put the hood up, makeup will rub against the trim...and I don't cake makeup on.  I started to wonder if I can really keep this coat, unfortunately the coat is practically sold out everywhere so I can't exchange for another color (that I like enough).  Perhaps the coat without the hood would be a better option for me, but then I'd have to buy a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment