Saturday, February 15, 2014

A new winter activity for me

I decided around November/December that snowshoes would be a good thing to have.  And wallah, I got a pair for Christmas.  Then they sat in my closet for over a month....even though we had quite a bit of snow.  Unfortunately the snow always came during the week and would melt by the weekend or I was busy so I couldn't get outside.

Well, finally this weekend I had absolutely zero things planned and figured now was the perfect time.

The parks had about 12 - 18 inches of snow.  I wasn't sure if that was going to be too much to snowshoe on because I'd sink...but then I thought, well, the mountains get a lot and people snowshoe there, so maybe this was a great amount of snow to snowshoe in.

But I did keep falling through the snow.  And talk about exercise to keep lifting my legs up so much!  But it was a fun early afternoon, getting some fresh air and exercise.

And now that I've done it once, I should be OK to do it alone.  And the great thing about it is that you can do it virtually anywhere there is snow.

But let's be a little honest, as much as I love hiking, and that is essentially what snowshoeing is but on snow, I enjoyed cross country skiing better, even though I struggled with it a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment