Thursday, October 25, 2012

cabbie-robbery

I had work related drinks after work today.  Since I was getting home late - I decided I was going to take a taxi home. 

When I got off the train I went over to all the cabbie, who are constantly harassing people when they got off for rides, and asked right away how much it was to get to my neighborhood.  The guy says $3.  I think, OK less than I thought, I was willing to pay $5.  I go to get in the car and the guys stops me and asks where my destination is (mind you it was less than 30 seconds ago) again.  So I re-tell him.  And he says $5.  And I was like...you JUST said $3, that is like 60% more, how about I give you $4.  He became insistent it was $5.  I didn't mind spending the extra money to get home 15 minutes earlier...but I was really annoyed he just upped it for no reason other than perhaps I was a woman and seemed lazy...and he might not have gotten other clients.

The thing is, in my town, that $3-5 ride is not a private ride.  They load other passengers into the car in the same area.  If this happens, you might not get dropped off first, and if you aren't are you really saving time?  Do I want the cabbie to get $20 for driving a mile?

That is the thing...it is less than a mile to my house.  In NYC, my fare would be $4.50 (which includes the night surcharge; see below) AND it would be a private ride.   Also, to park in the parking lot for 12 hours is $4.

So I told cabbie that since he changed the price I was going to walk instead.  He got nasty, said 'fine' and started telling the cabbie next to him that I was cheap because I wouldn't pay the $5 fare.  I turn to him, give him my evil look - and tell him I was willing to pay more - but his attitude and the fact that he changes prices is why I was going to walk and be home in 20 minutes.  He called after me with insults at which time I used some profanity...which is not like me at all.

Good thing I stopped and got a burrito in the city so when I got home I didn't have to cook. 

Thinking back, about 3 years ago I was sick and asked the cabbies for a ride instead of walking.  You know when you are sick and sweaty and feel like you are going to pass out? That was me.  So I am in the car, waiting for these other passengers...and I get kicked out because the cabbie was able to get other clients in another neighborhood...which meant more money for him.  I can't remember if I walked home in tears because I thought I was going to collapse or was able to find someone to come and get me.  Can you believe that crap? I think I vowed then not to ever use the local taxis...today was a little slip.


NYC cab fare is as follows:

Standard City Rate (Rate Code 1)
$2.50 upon entry
$0.50 for each additional unit
The unit fare is:
  • one-fifth of a mile, when the taxicab is traveling at 6 miles an hour or more; or
  • 60 seconds when not in motion or traveling at less than 6 miles per hour.
  • The taximeter shall combine fractional measures of distance and time in accruing a unit of fare. Any combination of distance or time shall be computed by the taximeter in accordance with the National Institute of Standards and Technology Handbook 44.
  • The fare shall include pre-assessment of the unit currently being accrued; the amount due may therefore include a full unit charge for a final, fractional unit.
  • Night surcharge of $.50 after 8:00 PM & before 6:00 AM
  • Peak hour Weekday Surcharge of $1.00 Monday - Friday after 4:00 PM & before 8:00 PM
  • New York State Tax Surcharge of $.50 per ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment