Sunday, October 2, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup, Chicken Enchilada Casserole & Eggplant Rollatini

Today I made three items (I wanted to make 2 more but I was too exhausted to keep going).

Butternut Squash Soup
I don't know if I ever ate butternut squash before.  I thought my recipe said to slice it in half, take out the seeds and cook it at 400 degrees for a while...but I misplaced the recipe I wanted to use, so when I looked online, It told me to peel the squash and cut it into 1 inch pieces - so that is what I did.

In a pot, heat 2 TB oil, add 1 finely chopped and three cloves of garlic - cook for 8 minutes.  Add butternut squash, 2 tablespoons curry powder, and 6 cups of chicken broth (see my note later).  Cook squash for 25 minutes.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer squash to a blender and puree.  Add back to pot and cook for a little bit. Add 2 tablespoons of nutmeg.

The soup smelled delicious and 'clean' however, my squash may have been smaller than it should have or I used too much chicken broth because my soup turned out to be more like butternut broth.  It had a great taste; but it was very thin.  I re-read the directions a bunch of times afterward to see if I should have transferred the puree to a different pot; but that was not clear. 

I'd have to say, I will need to find a new recipe and try this again...it has potential, but this wasn't it.

Squash $2.00
Olive oil  $0.30
Garlic $0.10
Chicken broth - free...I used some from when I made it a  few months ago (it was in the freezer)
Curry Powder  $0.80

Total $3.20  for 4 servings of about 1 cup

Chicken Enchilada Casserole
I found this recipe in the October edition of Martha Steward's Everyday Food. 

2 pounds tomatillos    $3.06
2 tablespoons vegetable oil  $0.20
1 white onion $0.16
2 jalapenos  $0.45
3 cloves of garlic  $0.10
12 corn tortillas  $2.00
2 chicken breasts $3.25
3 tablespoons sour cream $0.15
   cheese $varies

Total $9.37 = $1.56 per serving + cheese which varies by type you want to use.

I loved Mexican food & I discovered last week I like tomatillos, which is why I thought I'd try this recipe so close to when I ripped it out of the magazine.  Heat the oven to 400.  I husked and washed the tomatillos and coarsely chopped them and pureed in a blender.   In a pot, add the oil, oil and jalapenos for 8 minutes.  Add garlic.  30 seconds later add the tomatillo puree and bring to a boil, then simmer 10 minutes.  Season with salt & pepper. 

While the pot is simmering, warm the torillas so they are pliable (microwave if you have one).  Fill each tortilla with about 3 tablespoons of shredded chicken (I cut up chicken into small pieces and put in a frying pan and cooked it that way, then once cooked - put in a food processor to shred super small).  Layer the filled tortillas in a baking dish; overlapping.  Pour the tomatillo puree over the tortillas, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.

Recipe suggested mixing the sour cream with 2 tablespoons of water and drizzle over casserole and sprinkle cheese * cilantro.  I just put the sour cream on with cheese.  6 servings.

I found this recipe very dry.  Corn tortillas are dry to begin with, and my chicken was so finely shredded - I wonder if that could have added to the dryness.  I liked the way the corn tortillas baked - but it needs something else.  I actually put a small packet of taco bell fire sauce on a little bit, it helped, so I wonder if adding some salsa or avocado or something.  Not bad...but needs improvement.



Eggplant Rollatini
I bought a small eggplant, I wasn't actually thinking about making this when I went shopping - I was just going to bake some, but since I happen to have ricotta and mozzarella cheese because I planned to make a calzone this week.  So I sliced the eggplant and added the ricotta, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, egg, and dry spinach and rolled up. I topped with vodka sauce because I had some left over from last week, and a little more Parmesan cheese.

It was very tasty.

Eggplant - $3.24
Ricotta $1.99
Mozzarella $0.40
Parmesan Cheese $1.40
Sauce $1.33
Egg $0.21

Total $8.57, 2 servings would be $4.29 each or 3 would be $2.85




No comments:

Post a Comment