Sunday, October 16, 2011

Bank Boy & I ride a bike

Today Bank Boy & I went for a ride on the North County Trailway.  This is the third time I rode my bike this summer - the other two times were on the Bronx River Parkway.  I was hoping that the other two times would have better helped prepare me for this ride.  We figured we'd only do the 12 miles round trip up to Yorktown.  The path was paved and quite flat - with long gradual hills.  Easier than the Bronx River Parkway so it seemed easy enough.   

But the thing is, it wasn't.  I am wondering if I have asthma.  I wasn't a sports person growing up so it was never really an issue, but lately I find that when I loose my breath, I can't catch it fast enough. I won't say I am wheezing, but my breaths aren't deep.  I feel like my breathing recovery takes way too long.

The trail this time of year was so pretty. I loved seeing the changing of leaves along the water. The trail was mostly empty with a lot of riders in spandex and runners; not many families/children. We crossed this wooden slatted bridge that we took a moment on our return to appreciate the beauty and quietness

I wish I could say that I maintained a speed of 11 mph, but it was closer to 6.5.  There was one point 1/2 mile to the end when I had nothing left, going about 5 mph that a couple that was jogging passed me.  HAHA, yes please laugh all you want. It was embarrassing.  I felt bad that I was holding Bank Boy up - I know he isn't used to traveling so slow.  I suggested that if I go with him again, we'd do the 6 miles together, I'd return back to the car & he'd keep going north to get his full of exercise at a decent pace.

On a positive note, my butt didn't ache as much as it did the first and second time I rode my bike! I was really happy about that, but my legs did ache a bit more.  I know I am not great about changing my gears, I normally keep them in 3-4 or so, but I am not sure why I can't cruise so well.  Bank Boy was barely pedaling - where I was constantly moving my legs and exerting more energy to keep going.  I need to figure that out why...if I can cruise a little then I think I'd be able to go a longer distance. 

The good news was that he adhered to the ONLY FRIENDS statement and not once did he bring anything up...until I left and was home.  Then he messaged me that he'd love to hang out more, not just bike riding, but dinner, a movie, whatever.  I don't want to give him the wrong impression, but I don't have a lot of friends, and he doesn't have many local friends right now.  It's just company.

No comments:

Post a Comment