Sunday, October 16, 2011

Swayze Crazy

Every once in a while you'll catch a few movies with the same actor in it.  This time around it was Patrick Swayze.  I'll be honest, out of his 46 movie titles, I can honestly say I only like about 3 of those movies...and maybe have only seen 7 or so. 

Point Break (1991) about bank robbers  
Ghost (1990) a classic movie about a ghost
Dirty Dancing (1987) another classic

source
I probably saw Dirty Dancing when I was 9 or 10 or so (yes, I was younger than the PG13 standards).  I remember watching this movie over & over again when I was young.  It was probably one of my first adult movies and it gave me this unrealistic sense of love....and dancing; I think those are the two things that every girl watching this movie wants.  I have never danced 'dirty' but having just watched that movie again in my 30s I feel like I missed out on something.  Did people actually do that?  I mean, I guess when people are drunk enough at the end of the night I might have caught a glimpse of some bad close dancing, but it wasn't the same.  Also, that love...granted it was a young love; but that is how they did it in 1969 (when the movie was supposed to take place).  I was in love once, but I am not sure if it was that kind of love - I guess not if it wasn't reciprocated.

Let's quickly talk about the music in Dirty Dancing too.  I bought the CD in the mid-90s; I still loved the movie and the music and couldn't get enough.  Aside from 'Time of my Life', two of my favorite songs are 'She's Like the Wind' - maybe because Patrick Swayze sang it and 'Hungry Eyes'.

Jennifer Grey I lost track of over the years, but then she was on Dancing with the stars.  I only remember her in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. 

Patrick unfortunately lost his battle with pancreatic cancer in September 2009; he was only 57.  Maybe I'll watch a few of his other movies as a little tribute.

1 comment: