Saturday, April 6, 2013

pill box shows age

I've been on the birth control pill for 15 years and recently decided I am going to change my birth control so I don't have to remember to take a pill at the same time every day.  Too many things come up now - will I even be home? What if I have an impromptu sleepover?  I did a lot of research and made my decision.  That same day, I go for my annual physical and my new doctor is asking about supplements and vitamins.  I said, 'no, I've tried, but I don't remember to take them or they are too big, and really, I don't want to get into the habit of taking something every day, because once you do  - you will until you die'.  She smiled at me and I knew she was thinking I was crazy.

But it is true, it is sad, but I have some supplements I've tried over the last few years, and the bottle is right there...I just forget to open it and take the pill.  I am not sure why it is so inconvenient for me.

My Vitamin D is ridiculously low...I think everyone has a vitamin D deficiency ..but mine was an 8 - I think normal is about 30.  The past month was really bad because I was suffering from extreme exhaustion, which is one side effect of the vitamin D deficiency, but I think other things were at play.  So the doctor prescribed a super high dose pill, 50,000 mg per week for 12 weeks.  And I was instructed to take a fish oil supplement.  I can't take something that large, so I bought Krill Oil instead.

I needed to make a good impression on my new doctor, so when I went in 3 months for my followup, it will appear I've followed her suggestions...so how was I going to remember to take all this?  Alas, my realization I am an 'old' person - I sucked it up and bought the $1.50 pill box.  And every Sunday I fill the boxes with my pills.  It has been working really well so far, everything is handy and in one spot - I have to say I enjoy this system.

So while 'the pill' will soon be no more, the pill box, I fear is staying with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment