Friday, December 12, 2014

lasting lessons

Every once in a while I get out my external hard drive and move files over from my computer.  I don't do this as often as I should - lesson learned last year when I had a scare and thought I lost everything, but it was able to be recovered.

As I am moving pictures and documents over, I spend time looking through things from the past, old pictures, documents, projects, whatever.  I came across a file I spent a lot of time writing about my two ex-boyfriends.  I read only the last page, dated 2007 and it was heartbreaking.  The emotional abuse I suffered and sort of realized but didn't want to accept.  The debate of love between my heart and my head.  And my little note about where I'd be in 5 years, with him? married to someone else? with children?  I wanted to slap that 28 year old across the face and wake her up. Well, 7 years later and I am still single and I know the first few years were because of him and me not being ready to date other people.  I needed to heal.  And eventually I did; although those lessons will always be with me.

Then I looked through scrapbooks I made and no longer have and couldn't help but smile as I remembered 2002 - 2008.  I am happy to say that my scrapbooking style has improved greatly from my first scrapbook! But that first scrapbook was fun and I've enjoyed doing it ever since (and actually took it out today to work on!) and I may not have gotten into it if it wasn't for the timing of that relationship.  And as many great and fun memories there were from that time - and as happy and naive as I was, the last seven years resulted in even more adventures, sights and travel; and doing it alone made it even better - even if it didn't seem like it at the time.  I am proud of what I accomplished on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment