Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 Goals Rundown

This year my goals included:
  • learn/try to compost  Did NOT do this.
  • read at least 10 non-fiction books completed, read 12. see books I've read list
  • become a better friend....or make a friend I made three friends in CO, and rekindled a friendship from high school, but it is sort of like a new friend.
  • save more, lower debt With the move, I didn't save a dime.  Will try again when I get a job.
  • enjoy a more balanced life Sort of. I moved for this reason.  Until I work full time, I can't say it is balanced, but the second half of the year has been more 'fun' than years past.
  • send written notes (thank you's, birthdays, congratulations, etc)  I was all over this. I sent out moving thank you cards to about 40 people, I sent out hand written thank you notes to people after a party, along the way, I mailed out many post cards to various people. I sent sympathy cards, engagement cards and a few birthday cards.  I spent about $60 on cards and about $100 on postage.
  • be more tolerant of other people I think I have.  I've had so much more on my mind that I am not really sure if I noticed many other people.  My road trip didn't result in much cursing because of bad drivers and since I didn't work as soon as I got here, I didn't have to worry about strange coworkers.  When you are happier in general, I think this really isn't much of an issue.
and I'd really like to sell stuff I don't use/need...but that is a lot of work...and I am just not sure if I have it in me to do that this year.  Garage sales are great, but why should I sell a coach bag I used once for $5? I shouldn't.  People go to garage sales thinking they can get anything everything super cheap ($5-$10) sometimes the stuff is good stuff.  I did have a garage sale before I moved and I sold a few things on ebay.  It was a lot of work!

I'd also like to be more productive.  Not just with work, but my free time.  I feel like I waste a lot of time away, and I'd like to see that time being put to better use.  This was really half and half accomplishment.  Once I realized I was going to move, I worked my butt off getting things ready, packing, selling, wrapping things up, saying goodbye, etc.  There was so much to do.  But once I moved and I didn't have a routine, I wasted a ton of time mostly because I was feeling guilty for having "fun" when I should be spending all my time looking for employment.  So there were days I didn't leave the house and weeks where I didn't do anything fun because I felt guilty.  I should have enjoyed that time off more...lesson learned.

And without needing to list it above, selling my apartment this year would make me really happy.  I need this to happen, I hate living here.  But the apartment is listed with an agent, and the price is below market (and will probably be reduced again) and therefore sort of out of my control regarding selling.  The apartment sold!  Yes, I lost money...but thankfully it all worked out.

Finally, I'd love to plan a trip...but I am not sure if I am going to have the money for the kind of trip I'd like to plan.  This year I will have some big expenses...so this is not a priority.  I'd say my 2 week road trip was more than enough for this year!  It was such an amazing experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment