Friday, June 1, 2012

Zippadie do da

Last weekend I tried Ziplining...you know, in case I ever go on the Amazing Race, I need to have this skill.  No, in all seriousness, I purchased a LivingSocial deal in October thinking it would be fun, and since it is on my list of things to do if I ever go to Costa Rica, I wanted to know what I was getting myself in to.

So the place was in Hyde Park, and is very much a beginner course.  There were I think 8 lines.  The group was small (ours was 6, but the max is 8) and two staff.  The staff were wonderful, for first timers, they did ALL the work, they attached us to the line, caught us, removed the thing from the line, attached us to our holding spots...everything except the ride.

I was much happier that our group was all newbies, so we all respected the time it took to build up courage that first time when we left the platform.

We also had 2 Tarzan ropes to get down to the ground with...that was a bit scarier than the zipling.


Two of the platforms we reached by climbing up a firetruck ladder, so we weren't really too high up (ie - if we fell, we probably would have survived in 98% of the course)

Little by little, after each segment, we all started to relax and enjoy ourselves a little more.  On the 7th ride I went off the ledge backwards, and from 6-8 I used one hand to steer myself.  I don't think I every let go completely, I should have...but it just gives me a reason to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment