After waiting a week or more, I finally gave in and called the Human Resources lady. She didn't answer so I left a voicemail which was just following up and to please contact me so I knew the next steps.
She returned my call 2 1/2 days later on a Monday. Of course I was jumping every single time the phone rang, and my hands started shaking. Her return call was to inform me that they were still making decisions. She didn't give me a time frame.
So I was shocked when she called me the next morning telling me I made it to phase 3 - the reference check. I provided 5 references at the first interview, but she was hoping for some more supervisors. My current place of employment is not set up like that...so I had a huge decision to make. Only two people at work knew I was applying - and I didn't want the rest of the company to find out. So I took a huge risk - and decided to contact three of my board of directors to ask if they would be my reference. I knew they really liked me and the work that I did for them over the last 6 years - but if I told them about this - I was also risking my clients knowing I was leaving before my company. But, I figured it was worth it.
I reached out to the three people by phone, and left voice mails for each, then I sent them an email from my personal email (not work one). They all responded to me within hours saying yes - absolutely. They understand that I need more of a challenge and people move on. It was a risk, but worth it if I got an offer.