Wednesday, March 23, 2011

It is just going to go in the garbage, so donate it instead

Do you ever wonder why we look the way we do? I wonder why we have eyebrows for example...what is their purpose? To catch sweat from rolling down your head?  Speaking of eyebrows, isn't it crazy how much hair we have and how fast it grows?   I fluctuate with having my hair either really long or short.

In the summer of 2009 I decided I wanted a change.  I cut off a little more than 10 inches and was able to donate it to either Locks of Love or Pantene Beautiful Lengths.  They both have different regulations but I qualified for each.  I felt so wonderful donating my hair to the cancer patients (Pantene) or  any long term medical hair loss (Locks), I know it isn't a lot, but such a simple act helps others that appreciate it when their self esteem is low.  I wondered why I never did it before, as this was probably the 4th time I cut so much off. 

I loved the above look. I thought it was cute but also made me look more 'put together' but yet it was still kind of simple to do.  Since I am not really a high maintenance kind of girl, I needed something 'easy' since I can't imagine spending so much time on doing my hair.  Unfortunately, I didn't keep the look up.  I got it trimmed once and then it grew out and started getting so long again that I found myself constantly putting it back in a rubber band just to get it out of my face. 

This past weekend I decided to get my hair cut.  When I saw my hair lady she was surprised how long it got and took out a ruler to measure.  She said I could cut it but it would be short.  I of course said YES, if I could help another patient, it is for a good cause - and really, I don't care about my hair.

So, she put it in a braid and cut it off. Then started cutting my super short hair in whatever style she wanted.  I had to buy a hair dryer and a hair brush  :( and I am still trying to figure how how to do it. But it is growing on me.
I get home and I go to the Pantene site to download the form to submit my hair since I knew I didn't have 10 inches.  It turned out that I only had 7 or a tad over it...but the minimum for Pantene is 8 so now I have a braid of hair that I can't do anything with and a tad bit of guilt that I cut it a bit too soon.  It is my fault I didn't check it before I left, but I have been sidetracked lately.

I hope that any of you that need a change and cut your hair will seriously consider donating your hair.  It is for such a great cause, and is not an inconvinence for you other than you cutting your hair.  Check out their sites (I have the links above) to see if you can bring a little more joy and happiness into someone who is suffering from a horrible disease.  What is the worst that can happen? You hate your haircut?  Don't worry, it will grow back.

2 comments:

  1. I donated once before, and it felt really good to do so. But, I love short hair and I have a hard time getting it even close to shoulder length because I just cut it myself. I should know better though, my bangs look freaky weird right now because I cut them in the morning while I wasn't thinking and at the wrong angle. However, your hair looks amazing! I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I LOOOOOOVE THE CUT!!!!!!!!! You look GORGEOUS!!! It's so fresh and fun!


    ps, I'll email you back later :)

    ReplyDelete