Friday, March 4, 2011

Day 19 - What do you think of religion?

I think religion is good for people.  I was raised Catholic, I was baptized and had my communion and confirmation.  When I was younger, I didn't mind going to church with my mom.  I enjoyed singing the songs and memorized many of the lines - and didn't understand why the priest would look at his book when he was explaining the body of Christ.  I started to read the bible from the beginning (I didn't finish).  But that aside, I was OK with attending mass - until a year or so before my confirmation.  As I got older, I had a lot of questions, but I felt that many people could not answer my questions...and when they did, I did not like the answer.  After all, the stories in the bible are just that - stories told from someones point of view.  Whose to say that my stories and my friends versions of my life can't be a religion?  Anyone can start something, but getting all those followers? Is that cult like? I don't know.  So, after my confirmation, I only went to mass when my mom asked (begged).  I was the most religious of all my sisters, so I became the godmother of one of my nieces.  I was a registered parishioner at my last church - but for the wrong reasons, SI's mom was super religious and it was 'required' of me to be a part of a church (mind you, he was not!).  Now, I rarely at attend mass, but do so on the rare occasion (but more than the holidays).

So, I guess I haven't answered the question yet.  I think people need religion. They need someone they think will help them or answer their prayers.  Perhaps they need to believe in a higher power.  Those are all good reasons...and I hope people become less paranoid about other religions. I say believe in whatever you want - don't force it on others and don't ridicule other's beliefs.

1 comment:

  1. I converted to Catholicism about 3 years ago. I liked that I picked a religion as an adult. And I did it because Nick is Catholic, and he has strong faith in his church. I felt like it would be easier for family reasons, not to mention, I'm a firm believer in "as long as you don't believe you're the highest power, you're fine."

    However, it was difficult, being raised Methodist. My family had gone to the same church for over 50 years. Not to mention the points of view are completely different. Methodists don't have nearly as many rules, and focus a lot on "love thy neighbor" whereas Catholics...well you know, you were raised Catholic. I still struggle with it sometimes, but I don't regret my choice.

    And also (I promise my last point) it's also funny because my dad was raised Catholic, went to parochial school and all of that. He left teh church when he was an adult.

    ReplyDelete