Tuesday, October 6, 2015

steps towards future career

I've had a lot of free time since I adjusted to working again.  And the summer is long.  I naturally wake up early and had a full day.  What does one do when they get home at like 4?

I was approached by someone to do some part-time work.  I figured this would be great because I could use the money and I had the time.  I'd love to pay off my debt faster and have money to travel and take trips.

But naturally my full time job got busy and I had less time to work than I thought.

And then, someone else asked me to do some mindless work. I did that in a few hours.  They liked it and then BOOM they want me to take on a lot more and upgraded the work to things I enjoy.  Sure, the work is interesting - very similar to what I do regularly and a few hours....OK....but it turns out they didn't want a few hours.

Job #2 now contacts me saying they don't want to pay me as an PT employee and would rather I work independently.  Job #3 doesn't have payroll in place, and I am to assume that they'd be paying me as a consultant as well.  What to do?

Ideally, I'd love to be a consultant and work remotely.  This way I can do my 'family' thing...even if it is just me and a kid.  And I could live wherever I want (I've been thinking of moving again, to a smaller town).  This is the end goal.  How to get there?

So I decide I should incorporate.

I had a lot of questions...and I don't have an accountant or a lawyer.  I only have a small amount of friends, and of those only one or two are consultants.  I ask them a handful of questions.

I did a little bit of a 'rush' job....so I know this is temporary, eventually I'll need to restructure if I want to expand.  I remember back to SI's consulting company and that would be a great thing...maybe.  Having a few consultants working for you but then also the hassle and liability of having them.

I don't know....it's goals.  It's something to work towards.  I just need to figure out how to balance my time making everyone happy and not keep saying yes to more work when I don't have the time.  But I like making people happy and saying no is hard.

I still want to date and have hobbies and enjoy my time in Colorado.  We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment