Monday, March 29, 2010

Hopefully it won't happen to me

I am re-watching We Are Marshall. What a great but sad story. Maybe it's my mood today - but during the plane crash, I started thinking about the ways I don't want to die. Sure, I've had these thoughts many times before, but now as I am getting a little older these are things I think about more often. It probably does not help that I am an avid reader where some books have very unusual deaths.

So, how don't I want to die? Drowning, suffocating, being stabbed/shot, slowly eaten by an animal, beaten, car accident (unless it is quick). I also don't want to be too old - I fear getting older, I don't want Alzheimer's or have to deal with all those health problems because let's face it, I am not a health nut now, if I make it to 80, I'll be miserable. Sure dying young isn't good so I'd prefer a quick death right about the age where I become a burden to others.

According to the CDC, the average life expectancy is 77.7 years leading causes of death in the US are:

  • Heart Disease (631,636)
  • Cancer
  • Stroke
  • Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases
  • Accidents
  • Diabetes
  • Alzheimer's
  • Influenza/Pneumonia
  • Nephritis
  • Septicemia (34,234)


And according to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, as you get older, the less likely you will be a victim of a violent crime, so at least I have that going for me.


Back to the CDC, looking at the cause of death for white women from 2002-2006 in my current age bracket, the "unintentional injury" is interesting, MV traffic ranks #1, followed by poison, fire, drowning, suffocation, fall, etc. http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10.html


So, logically, the next question would be would I want to know when I am going to die? No, I don't think I would. Sure, if you knew you would make it appoint to do what you want to do before it happens. But, knowing me, I would just think about that day all the time perhaps be too depressed to do anything, especially if it was sooner than I would have liked. As much as it would be great to live each day like the last day...that is too hard to do when you still have work and obligations. Just a reminder to make more time for the things you really enjoy.

For fun, check out http://www.waystodie.350.com/ for 350 bizarre ways to die

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/index.cfm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/deaths.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment