Monday, June 30, 2014

homesickness in waiting

I was sitting at the Easter lunch table reflecting on my family and how well we all get along.  Then I realized that was the last holiday I would be spending with them for a while.  While I will make an effort to come home for holidays, flights are usually at a premium and I may need to postpone my holiday visits, which means I'd' see my immediate family more than my extended family.

I've been very lucky that growing up I had a great relationship with my (extended) family, so that is one of the biggest downfalls of relocating for me, missing out of spending time with family.  

Then I remembered the homesickness I felt when I went to college.  I'd call to check in with the family and heard them all having a great time at a party or all the fun they'd be having. I hung up the phone more sad then when I called thinking about everything I was missing.   When I was in college, my first nephew was born.  Now I have lots of nieces and nephews who I've spent a lot of time with and one on the way, I like to think we have special bonds...and I'll be leaving them.  I think they are going to go through Denise-withdrawal too because I've gone to science fairs, sports games, birthday dinners, played board games, watched movies, played at the park, had sleep overs and even started giving driving lessons.  I hope that in a few years the kids will want to come visit, with their parents or alone.  I can be the aunt they spend summers or winter break with.

Homesickness will be something I'll have to struggle with for a while, but in the end, like everything, I'll get used to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment