Friday, July 31, 2015

a year of savings

Before I moved I decided to purchase the AAA membership at $52, not for the roadside assistance since that came with my car, but because I knew I'd be traveling a lot and hoped the discounts would exceed what I purchased the membership for.

I also knew I wanted to see a lot this past year, and therefore I purchased the National Park Pass early into my trip knowing that in twelve months, it should pay for itself.

So, let's see if there was any savings from July 2014 - July 2015.

National Park Pass Purchase Price:  $80
  • Lincoln Boyhood Home  $3 me and $3 guest = $6
  • Badlands $15
  • Scotts Bluff NM $3
  • Rocky Mountain National Park $20 (aug)
  • Florissant Fossil Beds NM $3
  • Rocky Mountain National Park $20 (sept)
  • Maroon Bells $10
  • Rocky Mountain National Park $20 (jan) --> pass paid for itself +17 savings. Everything else is additional savings.
  • Colorado National Monument $10 (may)
  • Canyonlands National Park $10 (may)
  • Arches National Park $10 (may)
  • Great Sand Dunes $10 (july)
  • Mesa Verde $15  (july)
  • Rocky Mountain National Park $20  - my roommate (july)
Total National Park savings: $92.00



AAA discount Purchase Price: $52
  • Corvette Museum $4 (two people)
  • Hotel in Ohio (July) $10
  • Hotel in Kentucky (July) $10
  • Graceland Admission $6 (two people)
  • Hotel in Tennessee (July)  $5
  • Hotel in Kansas $13 (two nights)
  • Hotel in South Dakota (July) $5 ....already saved $1.  Everything else is additional savings.
  • Hotel in Nebraska (July) $15
  • Squirrel Cage Jail $1
  • Stanley Tour $6 (two people)
  • Campsite (May) $11.50
Total AAA savings: $34.50

AAA automatically renewed at the start of my end month, so I had to write a letter, explain I moved and mail back my card and hope they refund me $52.  


Total card savings:  $126.50.  I'd say it was well worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment