Monday, April 20, 2015


I know where some of my skills are.  I can manage, plan, execute, followthrough.  Those are great skills in my line of work, which is perhaps why I am in this line of work; it suits me.  Because it is natural for me to do this, I forget other people are clueless.  Sometimes some of it seems like knowledge other people should have, especially when it comes to small events....hasn't everyone at least planned a birthday party or holiday? Shouldn't some basic event tasks be thought about if one were to actually take a moment and think?

We had a conference at my job, and when the committee reached out to me a month prior, I was shocked at how little was done.  I offered suggestions.  Gradually I took on most of the responsibility.  They decided they wanted new brochures the week of the event...they don't realize how much time it takes to create a nice looking brochure, or the fact that they were too cheap to purchase a copy machine that staples or I had to do it all by hand. The day of the event, I had to be the first one there as I was the only one with access to the building.  Since I am not in the field, when the event started, they all left me.  I knew this was goign to be a problem, and asked if I could bring in outside help for day; but they didn't want to spend the $100, when I could do everything.

As the event continued, I was summoned, the microphone is echoing, fix it.  The speaker's laptop is going to die, can you find an outlet?  Can you look to see if her stool can be raised?   Ummm, why can't you look at the stool, by the time it took you to come out of the auditorium, you would have realized that the stool couldn't be raised.   But while I am fixing one area, another committee member tells me how she wants the break arranged...why am I not doing that now?

Last time I checked, I was one person with two arms, not an octopus.  I can only do so much.  I did 85% of the conference on my own.  The other 15% was the committee....and if truth be told, just got in the way most of the time anyway.  They didn't help in areas they needed to help in.  I felt more like a low paid employee than the true purpose of why I was hired.  It was too late.  Even if I wanted to stick up more for myself...there was no one there to do the work.  It was a real eye opener for me what my employer thinks they want from me versus actual expectations.  Or really, they want it all, and they want it for almost nothing.

I grew agitated, and it showed.  The New York in me started to stand out.  I started to wonder if I was going to have to start looking for a job again...because I am not sure I want to work for a group of people that are extremely impressed with my knowledge and skills...but yet, aren't willing to change, only consider my ideas for just a few seconds, are nice enough but somewhat inconsiderate, and expect me to do it all....but then again, aren't most jobs like that?   There are a few things I really like about my job.  I love that I have zero coworkers....well, except in times like the conference when I needed 'real' help, that I hope I can put some of the theories and studies into practice, and having mostly flexible hours.  If I can just find ways to make them understand a little bit better, this could have a happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment