Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013 Dreams & Goals rundown

Here is my yearly rundown on my 2013 goals:
  • Whenever I say "I never..." write it down, and by the end of the year try about 60% of what I never did before. (unfortunately I had to factory reset my phone and I lost my list of I never's and couldn't remember all of them - and then I stopped writing them, this list was as of August)
    • See a Fox
    • Eat at Red Plum (local restaurant)
    • Try Korean Food
    • Drive in NYC
    • Get divorced and remarried
    • Had a threesome/orgy
    • Smoked a cigarette
    • Tried any drugs
    • Eaten eel
    • Been to Europe
    • Buy & use canned chicken
    • Attend a show/concert/play alone
    • Have ice cream with pineapple
    • Watch any episode of any of the housewives (Beverly Hills S4 E8)
    • Tried an apricot
    • Had hot Chinese mustard
    • Played Clue Jr.
    • Been to Baltimore
    • Had lemon meringue pie
    • Used my food dehydrator
    • Saw Swiss Family Robinson
    • Saw King Kong
    • Had Whiskey
    • Float down a river in an inner tube
    • Been to the Caribbean
    • Been to an NFL game
    • Tailgated
    • Been to MetLife Stadium
    • Had a brown shelled egg
    • Had escargot
    • Had beef jerky
    • Played hand ball
    • Rode on a motorcycle
  • Be more spontaneous
  • Be in the moment more...enjoy the time when there, and stop trying to look past that time.  Enjoy the person I am with, as I might never see them again. And if I don't want to be somewhere, well, suck it up and ENJOY it anyway. 
  • Move --> moved back into apartment 7/2013
  • Spend less money on clothes than I did last year
    • 2012 - not less than $2,514.70 (I lost some Quicken data)
    • 2013 - approx $1,611.42 
  • Try 10 new foods
    1. Korean Food.  EUI Special; thinly sliced beef with vegetables in broth with stew & rice (1/4/13, see above link under I never)

    Korean Food at Don's Bogam
    2.  Panna Cotta. I went out to Park Avenue Winter for NYC restaurant week.  A very interesting combination of textures, this was cranberry and brown sugar crumbs.  It was much more flavorful than I thought it would be.
    Park Avenue Winter - Panna Cotta

    3.  Fuyu Persimmon. While at the farmer's market, I saw some things I've never seen before, and figured this would be a great opportunity to try something new.  I went with the Fuyu. It sort of looked like a tomato but smelled a little sweeter.  When I got home I googled the Fuyu to discover it was a persimmon, and ways to eat it.  One suggested peeling the skin, even thought it is a tree to mouth food.  I peeled it and sliced it in circles to see the pretty star pattern.  The fruit was soft and sweet. I actually really enjoyed it, wish I had more...but it was a $1 for the small guy...so it is one of those things I'd have to keep my eye out for in the future - I think their season is September - December.

    4. Hot Chinese MustardI don't like regular mustard, so to try this was a little difficult.  As my picture shows, I didn't enjoy it.

    5. Hot Chinese Oil - I was having dinner over my sister's house and the hot oil came up.  who liked it, who didn't.  I haven't taste that yet, so I figured why not?  I put it on my dumpling.  It was good, I enjoyed it.  

    6. Eel - the best way for me to taste eel was in sushi.  So, while I ate it, there were other flavors that distracted me, like the asparagus (that was the first time I had asparagus in a sushi roll also). 

    7. Guava - I went to a fruit stand and decided to pick up three new foods, but this was the only one I tried.  I liked the guava, but the seeds were a little hard for me.  

    8. Apricot - The apricot size, shape and feel reminded me of a small peach.  But it was sweeter, it had a really good flavor; when I was done with the apricot, I wanted more. Delicious  I hope to buy these more often...although they aren't as prevalent in the grocery store as other fruits, I had a super small selection on purchase date.

    9.  Red Snapper - I eat a bunch of fish, but I have yet to have red snapper...I thought it was time to try it.  I made it an Indian version - using turmeric, curry powder, cilantro, lime juice, Greek yogurt, etc.  The marinade was delicious - I am going to make again with chicken.  The red snapper wasn't bad...not my favorite, but I'd eat it again.

    10. Lemon Meringue Pie - I was out with a few friends and one ordered a lemon meringue pie slice.  I never had it, and I remembered my list of nevers...and figured I should grab a fork and taste a bite of her's.  I did.  I didn't like it, but then again, I am not crazy about lemons...so I had a feeling it wouldn't rise to the top of my favorites list.


    11.  Escargot - I was with Mountain Man and he suggested escargot as an appetizer.  I haven't had it, and not that I wanted to impress him, but I was all about new adventures and trying new things...so I said sure...it isn't a delicacy for no reason.  I had two on a small piece of bread.

    12. Chicken Heart - At Fogo de Chao in Rio de Janeiro, they brought the chicken hearts over a few times, finally I said I'd try it.  It was very tough and chewy.  I didn't like it.   

    13. Oysters - I tried my first oyster with Mountain Man in San Diego.  I was nervous, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I expected it to be big and chewy, but instead it was big but soft.

    14. Hominy - I tried hominy as part of a food cooking challenge.  I have to say, I liked it, I would definitely eat it again.

    15. Spam - I tried this as part of the same cooking challenge.  As soon as I cracked open the lid, it smelled like cat food.  I pan fried it and added it into brussel sprouts and whatnot...but it was disgusting. I will avoid this going forward.


  • Spend less time on Facebook
  • Get my photo taken in 5 interesting places
Dallara Indy Car Factory (6/24/13)


Yellowstone National Park (8/2013)


Christ the Redeemer (9/2013)


Iguassu Falls (9/2013)


5.  Pacific Ocean (11/19/2013)



My resolution roulette challenges:
  • Plan a monthly get together with my family friends
    • January (holiday party), February (diner), March (Applebee's & trivia), April (going away dinner), May (diner), June (Applebee's), July (March Madness party),  August (bar), September (pizzeria), October (home), November (home), December (holiday party)
  • Do 12 hours of charitable work
    • 3 hours in a soup kitchen 1/18/13
    • 2 hours tutoring with Biology 6/9/13
    • 3 hours working local carnival 6/29/13
    • 3 hours working local carnival 6/30/13
    • 4 hours working local carnival 7/2/13
    • 6 hours working local carnival 7/4/13

No comments:

Post a Comment