Saturday, April 16, 2011

My reading goes digital

I have shared with you that I love Groupon. It is truly a great site to save a little money on restaurants, gifts and activities that it becomes addicting.

A long time ago, I posted about my purchasing a Roomba vacuum from a website Woot.  Woot is similar in that they offer one deal a day for a product - and most of the time if it is electronic, it is factory refurbished stuff.  Which is totally fine with me.  I save some money and I get something that I might not normally splurge on.  Woot had the Barnes & Noble Nook for sale, and I didn't have to think twice about getting one.  In fact, I was seriously contemplating getting two, because it still would have been cheaper than one. I've been debating for so long if I should convert to an e-reader since I read a lot and carrying big books to work everyday can be exhausting, it was a no brainer decision.  

My main concern with this amazing little product was that I would have to spend money instead of going to the library.  Libraries are amazing - and I have mentioned before why more people should take advantage of the services.  Anyway - I know some books copyrights have expired and free books are offered.  Additionally, Barnes & Noble has a program that if you are in the store you can download a book - I haven't done this yet, but I think it might be a specific book for the week or month. 

My county libraries also offers electronic versions of some books.  Just like in Inspector Gadget, the books will self destruct in two weeks.  I have to do more research to find out what their selection is like, but I don't tend to read books more than once, so borrowing is just as fantastic when I know that I will finish a book quickly.  Since they self destruct, there is no late fee either! 

This great gadget will allow me to read some books that I wanted to read but just didn't want to carry around.  Some e-books are also super cheap at $0.99 which is less than some of my late fees at the library now that they went from $0.10 cents to $0.25 cents per day; making purchasing some books a better option for me.  When I go on vacation and I want to read a new book, I think I can handle the few books I can buy at full e-book price or enjoy the feel of paper pages and flipping works too.

I am looking forward to picking out a cover for my nook and will write a review once I've played around with it a few times and understand it better.

1 comment:

  1. I just got the kindle for my birthday and downloaded a bunch of free books! looks like kindle will be starting up a library type of thing where you can exchange books with each other... hopefully something like this will evolve I bet in 20 years actually libraries will be rare and everything will be electronic like this!

    ReplyDelete