Saturday, August 15, 2015

quick stop to the Colorado Gator Reptile Park

Aside from the Sand Dunes in Alamosa, there isn't much to do.  The Colorado Gators Reptile Park was a fun spot.  After reading online reviews....I wasn't sure what to expect.  Some people loved it others were very judgmental about the facility and the cost.

I went with 2 other adults, a 9 year old and a baby.   We spent about 2 1/2 hours here because we really took our time.  The facility is a working farm and what they do is interesting so they allow people to come in...and they need admission money because it is a small business.

The first stop is meeting with an employee who gives a little history of the farm and then explains about some of its inhabitants.  He shows us a scorpion, and a few other things...and you have the opportunity to hold them.  I passed on the lizard and the scorpion, but when my nephew said no to the snake...I said yes.  What??? I've never held a snake before and thought it was time.  I was a little freaked out. If you asked if I would do that before the day, I'd probably have said no. But sometimes I am better at spur of the moment occasions.   And it wasn't that bad.  Thank goodness it barely moved when I held it.  It was a solid snake.  I made this goofy face just to make it because it seems scary, but it wasn't...I have one of me smiling too.

And then it was time...the $15 admission paid for itself when I had the opportunity to hold a small alligator.  We all did.  we were allowed to use our own cameras for the photos...but they take one with theirs and then you have the ability to buy a picture/CD/memory stick with the picture.  We had a rare coupon for $5 off...so we got that too.

I didn't think to investigate the alligator wrestling class.  My brother in law would have done that...and you know, I may have been tempted as well.   But, you had to sign up at least one week in advance (which isn't bad!).  At the end of our day there, we saw the beginning of the class..there were a good 6-8 people in it catching a gator about the same size as the one I held.  They gradually move up from small to big.


We bought some gator chow, actually two of them....so a lot of time was spent feeding the outdoor alligators.

I had a surprisingly good time at this place.  I learned a lot and was very impressed that it is a self-sustaining farm and that the alligators were originally brought in to eat the tilapia they were farming.

If you are in the area and looking for something to do...why not check it out.  Go in with an open mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment